Perspectives Pro Overview
Perspectives Pro is an add-on for CC2 Pro that allows you to create isometric floorplans. It has a wide range of symbols, similar to those in Dungeon Designer 2. There are four versions of each freestanding symbol, one for each cardinal direction. There is only one version of each Wall Feature symbol – these front-on views are “sheared” so that they align to any wall.
You can draw a top-down 2D view of your floorplan or take an existing 2D drawing, then convert it into a perspective view by projecting it.
Perspectives Pro is not truly 3D – it has certain limitations.
- You can draw floors, walls and rooms (floors and rooms) directly in isometric view.
- You can add solids (cones, cylinders, 3D boxes and polys) in a vertical orientation.
- You can make vertical holes by adding a solid with a negative depth.
- You can give flat objects depth by extruding them.
- You can control the appearance of surfaces using predefined settings, or create your own.
- You can create your own Perspectives symbols.
CC2 Pro does not have a fully-fledged 3D viewing engine. Perspectives Pro allows you to create floorplans from a fixed viewpoint which you can’t change. This view is isometric. It is not a true 3D editing package – in CAD terms it is “2½D.” When you are adding solid entities such as rooms, solids, or walls, Perspectives works with 3D coordinates, hiding areas hidden from view and shading surfaces appropriately. However, once added, the entities do not have real 3D qualities – just imagine them as 2D drawings of 3D objects.
Perspectives symbols are restricted to four views – effectively we’ve had to produce 4 symbols for each object. For some symbols with infinite rotational symetry (an upright barrell) this makes no difference, for others such as beds, you are restricted to four angles when placing them. Just symbols have this particular limitation. Only a true 3D representation of every symbol would overcome this difficultly.
Creating a Perspectives map from an existing 2D one
You may have created maps using DD Pro, or DD Pro’s cut down commands found in CC2 Pro. You can use your existing floorplans as the basis for a Perspectives map. This example assumes you have used DD Pro commands, but it works just as well with any floorplans with a little tweaking.
Copying the floorplan
Making the floor
- Click Open and click the drawing with the dungeon in.
- On the Edit menu, click Copy. Select the floorplan and click a point for the clipboard origin. Take a note of the size of the dungeon.
- Click New and start a new Perspectives drawing of about the right size.
- On the Edit menu, click Paste. Click a point off to the left of the template edge for your floorplan.
You’ve put the symbols on a temporary layer so it will be easier to erase them later.
- Click the Layers indicator, and hide the Walls and Background (FLOOR 2) layer.
- Click Projection . You are most likely to want the Top (CCW) option. Select the floorplan (including any symbols) and click the “to” point on the floorplan.
- Click a point on the grid where you would like the projected floorplan to appear.
- On the Perspective menu, click Make into Floor . Select the projected floorplan.
- Click Front , select by type Symbol.
This is so you can see the flattened 2D symbols.
- Click Change Layer , select by Prior, and choose the TEMPORARY layer.
- On the Perspectives toolbar right click Wall, current thickness . Click Wall, choose thickness.
- Add walls along the edges of the floorplan, optionally leaving out sides that would obscure the floorplan. You can add a low wall along such edges, or else add a Wireframe wall.
You can see 2D versions of the symbols you need to place. You won’t always be able to match the orientation of the symbols. Just use the nearest appropriate symbol.
- On the Symbol toolbar, click the appropriate Symbol button for the symbol you wish to place.
- For each symbol, align then place the symbol on top of the 2D version.
- Click Erase , select by layer, select the TEMPORARY layer to get rid of the flattened 2D symbols.